Monday, April 22, 2013

Things I Wouldn't Buy Again Part 1

Negative reviews can sometimes be more helpful than positive ones.  There are many purchasing mistakes I have made, which is why this is "Part 1" of a never ending series of blogs on the subject.  The only problem with unfavorable reviews is that I do not (always) have a great product that I can suggest to replace it with, so if you have a product that you love, please share it with me!

Things I Wouldn't Buy Again #1


Angelcare 3-in-1 Baby Monitor

I registered for this item because it seemed ideal...3 different monitors in one (Video, Audio, & Movement Monitor).  I loved the peace of mind that (I thought) would come with the movement monitor, and this is one of the only 3-in-1 monitors on the market.  For anyone who doesn't know, a movement monitor senses breathing and alerts parents when movement (aka breathing) is not sensed in a certain period of time.  My husband and I have collectively spent hours setting up the video, making sure the cords were tied and out of reach, and positioning and repositioning everything.  I even went to Home Depot and had a masonite board cut to stabilize the movement monitor so that it would work properly.

When Kennedy arrived, I realized immediately that this item was a poor choice.  During her first nap at home I was on hyper-alert (as most new moms are)...nap time is supposed to be "down time" for mom, but at first, it is just a time of worry.  Is she breathing?  Is she cold?  Is she comfortable? How long should she sleep?  Do I need to wake her so she can eat?  The list of worries goes on and on.  After putting her down, I left the room hesitantly, turned on the monitor, and went into the living room.  Ten minutes later, I walked back to her room to realize that she was crying and my monitor had not picked up the sound!  I rushed into her room, picked her up, and exactly 20 seconds later the movement monitor started beeping violently, ensuring that baby would not be going back to sleep anytime soon.  This happened twice within the first 24hrs at home and I subsequently made a mad dash to Wal-Mart and impulsively bought a Sony audio-only monitor (an even more inferior product).  The Sony monitor has a range of approximately 3 feet, and with Kennedy's frequent wakings, I gave up and moved her into our room for the next few months.  When she started sleeping in her room again, I purchased another audio monitor from Summer, which I love and still use.

To recap, at this time, I was using a Summer monitor for audio, and the Angelcare for video only; and they could not be placed close to one another because they would beep due to interference (so annoying).  In my opinion, the video on the Angelcare is no better than the audio (the advertisement photo looks nothing like the actual picture!).  Positioning the monitor has been a nightmare and there have been many nights that I didn't feel confident she was OK by my view on the monitor (leaving me to worry and accidentally wake her when sneaking into the room).  In the past month, I have not turned this monitor on and am now relying solely on audio.

If there is a next baby, I may try the new Owlet baby monitor that is coming out soon.  This is a breathing and heart rate monitor that connects to your iPhone or Android.  The monitor is a bootie (I believe it has a Velcro closure), that uses pulse oximetry (same technology that hospitals use) to measure baby's vitals at all times.  This would eliminate the issue of creating a massive alert at 2am when you were simply trying to feed or console a crying baby.  It could also be great if baby is napping or sleeping in another place other than their crib.  The Owlet baby monitor is due to be available in Late 2013 and can be reserved on their website www.owletcare.com

The Angelcare monitor is one of the most popular choices on the market and there are many disseminating opinions online about the product.  I guess that an All-in-one system, at this point in time is simply too good to be true!


Angelcare 3-in-1 Baby Monitor
Product Rating: 
Price: $289
 



1 comment:

  1. I can definitely see how a movement monitor might just drive a new parent crazy!

    ReplyDelete