Friday, April 5, 2013

Recipes, Tips, & Tricks for Great Baby Food

I have always had a love for cooking and (especially) eating great food.  I am a self proclaimed foodie; my idea of a perfect evening is trying the chef's favorite dish at a great new restaurant.  Before baby, my husband and I spent much of our free time drinking wine (or beer, or margaritas, etcetera) on a patio somewhere while munching on tapas (or antipasti, or many times this was chips and queso).  My love of the culinary arts has always been something that I have aspired to immerse my child in.  Kennedy has another agenda...puffs and applesauce.  While I was pregnant, I read a lot about trying to train baby's palette, however, somewhere between Plum Organics pouches (when I'm too busy to make food) and my child having a mind of her own, this information has been set to the wayside.  I am now *hoping* that exposure (or lack of exposure to certain foods!) will lead to her love of Coq au Vin instead of chicken fingers (here is to wishful thinking!).  Below are a list of tips I have learned while making baby food.
  • Baby's tummies are tiny, so I try to fit 3 food groups into every puree. This typically consists of:
    • Breakfast- grain, dairy, fruit puree
    • Lunch- vegetable, grain, fruit puree
    • Dinner- protein, vegetable, fruit puree
  • Rice, Oatmeal, and Multigrain baby cereals in a box are AWESOME for thickening any purees that come out a little watery.  This is a great way to get a grain into baby's diet!
  • Baby Beaba silicone freezer trays are wonderful for freezing purees.  The mold holds 7- 2oz. portions (ice cube trays typically hold 1 oz.), has a lid. and the silicone mold makes it so much easier to pop the frozen puree out.
    • Note:  I like to freeze single ingredient purees so that I can de-thaw them in whatever combination I choose (i.e. one ice cube of broccoli puree plus one apple ice cube equals broccoli-apple puree!)
  • Applesauce goes with almost any vegetable or meat, making a healthy way to get baby to eat vegetables and/or meat.
    • Kennedy loves: Broccoli & Apples; Spinach & Apples; Chicken, Green Beans, & Apples; Pork & Apples; she will eat almost anything as long as it is mixed with apples!
  •  Once baby is old enough for Baby Mum-Mum Crackers or Plum Organics Puffs, this can keep them occupied with making breakfast/lunch/dinner.  Kennedy is slightly obsessed with these, keeping her quiet while I cook.
Applesauce in the Oven:

I love making applesauce in the oven because it is easy and (I think) it tastes better.  

5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I love Granny Smith for their tartness)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange sliced apples on a baking sheet.  Bake for 30 minutes, until apple slices are beginning to lose their form.

Puree in a food processor until smooth.  Freeze in a Beaba tray or other ice cube tray for later use.
  • I also love to make Apple-Blueberry sauce for use in her breakfast.  Start by making applesauce like above.  While the apples are baking, simmer 1/3 pint of blueberries and 1/4 cup of water on the stove over medium heat for 10 minutes or until blueberries are beginning to burst open.  When all ingredients are done,  puree them together in a food processor.
Baby Breakfast:

As I said above, I try to fit 3 food groups into all of Kennedy's meals (not always possible, but I try).  Kennedy has a variation on this recipe almost every morning.

2 oz. fruit puree (Mango, Apple Blueberry, Kiwi Peach, Apple Strawberry, Apple Prune, etc)
1 oz. Greek Yogurt
1 oz. Oatmeal Cereal Powder (or enough to thicken to baby's chewing ability)

Mix all ingredients together & serve!  Super easy and nutritious!

I have a lot of other recipes that I will share in later blog posts.  Please share any recipes with me that your little one loves!

Beaba Multi Portion Freezing Tray
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛
Price: $19.95-$24.95
Eco Option?: Made from Silicone and BPA Free Plastic
Where to Find: From Buy Buy Baby, Williams & Sonoma, & many online Retailers



Baby Mum-Mum
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛♛
Price: $3.99
Where to Find: From Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and most grocery stores

Plum Organics Super Puffs
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛♛
Price: $2.99
Where to Find: From Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and some grocery stores

No comments:

Post a Comment