Thursday, April 10, 2014

Baby Wearing

Baby wearing is the oldest form of baby transport and has been practiced around the world for centuries.  There are photos that show mothers wearing their babies in China, Mexico, Indonesia, Europe, Ethiopia, and many other places that are over 100 years old!  It is super practical; baby is safe and close to you, while having your arms free (something that a stroller does not offer!).  Beside the practicality, there are many reasons that it is a good for both mom and child.
  • Mother's oxytocin is increased through physical touch, lowering postpartum depression, making breastfeeding easier, and strengthening the maternal bond.  Similarly, the paternal bond is strengthened through baby wearing!
  • Infants who are carried tend to be calmer because all of the primal/survival needs are being met.
  • Parental rhythms (walking/heartbeat) have a soothing effect on children as they mimic being in the womb.
  • Babies are "humanized" earlier; Being close to another person allows them to study facial expressions and language in depth.
  • Children who are worn actually tend to learn to be independent more quickly.
  • Attachment between child and parent is more secure.
  • Decreases risk of "Flat Head Syndrome"
  • For mom's trying to lose baby weight, the extra weight of carrying a child definitely helps!
I did not know all of these things when Kennedy was born, but by instinct I learned very quickly how powerful carriers can be.  Kennedy was colicky for the first 8 weeks of her life and the only thing that seemed to calm her and help her sleep was baby wearing.  I wore her (what felt like) around the clock for those first two months.  She loved it and I loved being close to her.  Now, at almost 2 years old, I still wear her around the house on occasion when I see that she is feeling "needy," and it usually does the trick!  Even though she weighs 26 pounds now, I still love the extra snuggles.  I have used three different types of carriers and I will review each of them below!

ErgoBaby Carrier

This is by far my most favorite and the only everyday carrier I still use!  As you can see, it can be worn on the front or the back and is suitable from birth (with infant insert) to 45 pounds.  The material is very comfortable and the carrier is really easy to use.  It also has a hood that can cover your baby's face when it is sunny or they are sleeping.  The hood is also a great way to discreetly nurse in public.  I find it a bit difficult to put Kennedy in the carrier on my back, but it can be done.  

Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛
Price: $115 for the Original, $135 for Organic Cotton, $25 for Infant Insert
Where to Find: From Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and many baby product retailers

Balboa Baby Adjustable Sling

I only used this sling once or twice, but could never figure out how to properly position it, so it always felt uncomfortable for both Kennedy and myself.  I have read mixed reviews online, some who love it, some who feel the same as I do, so I am sure some people have figured this sling out!  All in all, I can't recommend it because it never really worked for me.  (I gave this to a friend whom I hope has had better luck with it than me!).

Product Rating: 
Price: $59.99
Where to Find: From Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby



Baby Bjorn Original Carrier in Mesh

I purchased this carrier when Kennedy was about six months old because it allows baby to face forward and inward, which I thought would be a great thing.  Around this age, I started to notice that Kennedy was always trying to look around in the Ergo carrier and it seemed really uncomfortable.  It is rated for babies up to 25 pounds and is really comfortable to wear.  The mesh material is great for summer because it is breathable; something I hadn't found with other carriers.  All of the great things aside, after purchasing it, I found out that it isn't ideal to carry your baby in a forward facing position, and here is why:
  • It adds pressure to the groin and can chafe the baby's thighs.
  • It puts pressure on baby's hips and does not support the legs.
  • It doesn't support the head or neck.
  • Puts pressure on the baby's spine because he/she is in a "hollow back" position.
  • Puts pressure on caregiver's back
 I did not feel like I was as connected with her as I was when wearing her inward facing.  The design of the Baby Bjorn carrier has a thick piece of fabric in between mom and baby, which doesn't give the same "connecting" feeling as physically touching each other.  

Product Rating: ♛♛♛
Price: $79.99
Where to Find: Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and many online retailers



So, what will I try if there is a next time?  The Moby Wrap or the K'Tan both look amazing and I may  be in the market for one of those in the future.  I have also heard great things about the Lillebaby carrier, which competes with Ergobaby in this particular style.


What carrier do you use?  Feel free to comment below about your love for baby wearing!


No comments:

Post a Comment