Friday, March 21, 2014

(Safe) Fun in the Sun!

Now that it is getting warmer outside, here a few things to keep baby safe in the sun!



Baby Bum Sunscreen (by Sun Bum)
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛
Price: $17.99
Where to Find: From Nordstrom, Amazon.com, and other online retailers

Baby Bum sunscreen is an all natural sunscreen, protecting your baby's skin without harmful chemicals.  I found this sunscreen on my recent vacation and fell in love.  My favorite thing about this sunscreen is that I can read the names of the all of the ingredients (woohoo!).  If you aren't aware, 99% of the sunscreen you find in stores is somewhat "poisonous," soaking into your skin and staying in your system for up to 2 days after a single application.  There are over 15 chemicals in sunscreen that are known to be "endocrine disruptors," that is they disrupt your natural hormonal balance, which can lead to ovarian, breast, and prostate cancers.  To read more, go to Dr. Oz's latest article on the subject.  The good news is that Sun Bum makes sunscreen for your whole family, so everyone can be safe and healthy!



SunglassWarehouse.com
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛
Price: $5-$12

I found this website over Christmas when putting together a "Dress Up" Box for Kennedy and now I am obsessed.  I love dressing Kennedy like a tiny grown up and most kid's sunglasses are not very fashionable.  I love this website for the price and selection of their products!  Check it out! www.sunglasswarehouse.com


Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) Swimming Lessons

Kennedy took ISR swimming lessons last summer and I am still debating how I feel about them.  On one hand, she learned the skill I signed her up for (to float for an indefinite amount of time in the water/self rescue) but on the other hand I still wonder whether it was truly "worth" it.  Before taking ISR, Kennedy took 2 months of "Mommy & Me" swim lessons that were nothing more than play time in the water... it was fun, but she learned nothing and I wasted $140.  I learned about ISR through a YouTube video that I found truly amazing; An unattended baby falls in a pool, rolls over, floats, & cries for help until the parent comes to rescue.  While we do not have a pool, my parents do, she is around water all of the time, so I thought it would be an excellent thing for her to learn and put my mind at ease.  Lessons are everyday, Monday through Friday for 10 minutes each day, usually lasting 4-5 weeks.  From 6 months to approximately 16 months, babies learn to roll over and float for an indefinite amount of time in all types of clothing (simulating a real life fall into the pool).  After a child has been walking for a few months, they can learn to "swim, float, swim."  Kennedy did not like the lessons, crying everyday during her 10 minutes, but as I said, she did learn the valuable tool that we were seeking.  While she was upset, I looked at it as one of the many hard parenting decisions that have to be made; she also does not like to nap, eat vegetables, change her diaper, or be in time out...was this any different?  As this summer approaches, I have found a teacher who appears to be more gentle, but will still teach her how to actually swim at her age (2)... we will see how it goes.  I considered putting her back in the ISR lessons, but it just did not work with our schedule, so I guess it was meant to be.  My advice to any parent would be to wait until your child is 1.5 or 2 and start the ISR with "swim, float, swim."  The older children seemed to be better at dealing with the stress of learning and learned how to actually swim, not just float.  I see much more of a need to learn as she has become a full toddler, opening doors is rather simple and she is into almost everything!  If you want to find an instructor near you or have more questions go to www.infantswim.com





No comments:

Post a Comment