Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Great Reading for Moms

There are millions of books available to parents and I have not even come close to putting a slight dent in what is available.  But here are a few books I have read and can recommend…hope you enjoy!




I loved this book because it was such an easy and fun read.  It was actually the first book I read after finding out I was pregnant and it offered a lot of great resources and tips.  Many pregnancy books, in my opinion, read so much like a text book and this was certainly a breath of fresh air in that respect.  I also love that throughout the book the author provides recommendations for "Moms on a Budget," "Eco-Minded Mamas," "Dads are the New Moms," and "Stuff to Drool Over." 

The Hot Mom To Be Handbook
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛
Price: $16.99
Where to Find: From Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble



Yet another fun and very easy read.  This book was truly a "page turner" to me.   This book follows the observations of the author as she lived in Paris with her young children and reads as a sort of memoir.  It is also not quite a "how-to" book and if you are looking for "all of the answers" to parenting, this isn't it.  I love the philosophies on sleep, eating, and treating babies with respect and giving autonomy. As I am writing this, I am actually having the urge to re-read it because I truly loved it so much!

Bringing up Bébé
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛♛
Price: $25.95
Where to Find: From Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other Booksellers


This book was recommended to me by a parenting coach and it has a lot of very interesting and unique information.  For anyone who has had children, you realize how incredibly different they all can be at a very early age (duh, they are all human beings and all humans are different, but I have been very surprised as a mom how early the differences are evident).  The book starts out with a test that allows you to rate your child on the nine most inherent traits (ie. Sunny vs. Somber, Slow Adapting vs. Quick to Adapt, etc.).  Once rated, your child will typically fit into one or a few of the different personality types that you can read about.  Each personality is explained in detail and then the book gives tips on how to work with your child's temperament to receive the best results and have a more positive day!  

Temperament Tools
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛♛
Price: $12.95
Where to Find: From Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other Booksellers


This book was recommended to me by the aforementioned parenting coach and was an equally great read. The only draw back to this book… it is over 500 pages (but at least 100 of them are recipes!).  Ellyn Satter is a world renowned expert in eating and feeding and has both an institute for research and has authored many books on the subject.  Her ideas around feeding are very different than anything I have ever read, but they truly make sense.  Ellyn's basic idea is that we create picky eaters and "favorite" foods (ie. mac 'n cheese, cookies, chicken fingers) by making them "special occasion" foods or having negative attitude about feeding our children (or ourselves) those foods.  She also says that we need the opportunity to overindulge in food to learn what moderation is and how to achieve it.  As someone that struggled with an eating disorder(s) for the entirety of my teenage years, I feel as though she is spot on with her studies and I am very much *trying* to raise Kennedy with this model.  

The Secrets to Feeding a Healthy Family
Product Rating: ♛♛♛♛♛
Price: $19.95
Where to Find: From Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other Booksellers

No comments:

Post a Comment